Sunday, May 22, 2005

Hooded 5

The now Sir Derrick strode through the long hallway to the king’s court, He wore brand new armour, forged for him in anticipation of his victory, and presented to him the day before, when he attained knighthood in one of the most difficult ways possible. The knighting and armour presentation ceremony was most grand. He especially liked his new helmet’s retractable visor. The need of the times however, prevented an extended celebration. It was straight to duty the very next day. The sound of his boots’ heels digging into the stone flooring echoed up and down the hall’s length, but it was soon overshadowed by some voices emanating from the slightly opened double doors right before him.

‘-------------- of emissaries aren’t you? I -------------------------- me! Give me a simple task, ---------------- it and show what your ----------------- of.’

‘I --------------------------------- is just more complicated ----------------------------, you ------------------- to complete.’

‘--------------------------- said so yourself. This is the perfect chance for me to --------------------------------- books cannot give. I think I can handle it.’

‘What -------------- merit, but…’

‘My Lord, if I may. I really see --------------------- suggestion. The ---------------- famous in name, but none who live outside the palace could accurately --------------- send a guard.’

‘Yes, but ----armed guard --------------, not negotiation!’

‘Pardon me, Sire, but by a guard, I meant “a” as in “one”.’

‘You can’t be serious!’

‘Eavesdropping?’

‘Aaah. Sir Thomas!’

‘Well I suppose they should never have left the door half closed like that. In any case, you’re a knight now. Get used to your arrival being announced. Helmet on.’

Derrick scrambled to do as he was told, as Sir Thomas put his heavy arm round his shoulder and ushered him into the chamber.

‘My Lord the King,’ Thomas raised his visor in salute, ‘I come to answer your summons, and to bring news.’

‘Ah, yes. At last comes the last member of this secret council... Sir Derrick? You’re not due for another hour. I suppose you could sit in. You are, after all, a member my personal guard now.’ The king paused for a moment, facing to one side and closing his eyes. ‘Right. First off, what news have you gathered?’

‘Bad news I’m afraid. So bad my contact is not even willing to send it by any other means, except personally. I am meeting him three days from here, and have come to inform you of the urgency of my mission.’

‘Is your squire the contact you speak of?’

‘Indeed. He is very dear to me, and his danger is grave. The information he holds is also too vital to us. I wish to go personally to ensure this mission’s success.’

‘Very well. Truth be told, I had another mission in mind for you,’ Sir Thomas held his breath. ‘But circumstance does not permit us to follow my initial plan. This is a dilemma indeed.’ The king paced in several small circles. ‘I have decided. Sir Thomas, go on your way with all speed, and my blessing.’

Sir Thomas left immediately, leaving Derrick in the room with the king, the advisor, and a noble looking young lady.

‘Lady Ciralen, you must no doubt have heard of Sir Derrick, whose combat prowess you witnessed just yesterday at the games. Derrick, Lady Ciralen here is one of my newest appointed emissaries. I have a mission for you both.’

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home